Bridging Divides: Cultivating Common Ground for Action
Hilary Denk / Heather Cunningham, Co-chairs, Issues Committee
This provocative and informative annual event will be held onSaturday, February 10, 2018 at University Center, 525 South State Street, Chicago from 9:30 am to 4:00 pm. Both a continental breakfast and a boxed lunch are offered.
As league members, we are passionate about making democracy work for every individual in our country but how can we achieve anything with all the distractions going on in today’s world that work to hamper progress? That is what we will be exploring as well as discussing solutions you will be able to take away on various issues areas. You will leave this event energized and ready to take on the important efforts that ultimately make a difference in our communities.
The day’s agenda is packed and may be found
Please note, the registration deadline is Thursday, February 1, 2018. Any mail-in registrations must be postmarked by that day.
Late registration will be continue to be taken online for the full day only for a late fee of $65, through February 5, 2018.
A quick preview:
- We have invited retiring legislators for our morning plenary to share how the partisan divide can be bridged in Springfield for effective action on League issues.
- The afternoon plenary features a stellar panel on criminal justice.
- The breakout sessions include:
- finding common ground in gun policy
- ERA passage
- clean water policy
- property tax relief
- voter access (automatic voter registration implementation and redistricting reform)
- During lunch, an expert from the Shriver Poverty Law Center will share practical tips about effective advocacy and the latest messaging on the graduated rate income tax push.
- We are planning a fun social after the event for those who want to celebrate another great briefing.
- New this year: Attendees may choose to have their materials provided on paper or thumb drive (to save some trees!)
We look forward to seeing you there!