Focus on efforts to ensure housing is attainable for people with various income levels and in different stages of their lives. Policies include:
- Allow Accessory Dwelling Units where it makes sense
- Allow more multifamily, mixed -use, and 2-3 family dwellings at specific locations along key corridors and in transit areas (Dee Road, Higgins Road)
- Create a Housing Fund for: senior retrofitting, historic preservation, assistance to potential homebuyers. Funding comes from fees on teardowns for new large single-family homes
- Encourage Employer Assisted Housing for our workforce
- File a Housing Plan with the state with clear goals. It is the right thing and it is the law.
Benefits of Affordable Housing to the Community:
- Promotes cultural and economic diversity; everyone can live, work and play affordably
- Assists local businesses to attract and retain employees by creating valuable workforce housing
- Helps alleviate traffic congestion and environmental impacts associated with long commutes
- Attractive to seniors, young singles and families, disabled, people of all backgrounds
WHAT CAN I DO TO SUPPORT AFFORDABLE HOUSING POLICIES?
- Contact your Alderman
- Contact the Planning and Zoning Commission and Individual Commissioners
- Contact the entire City Council
- Attend City Council when it’s scheduled and Planning & Zoning Commission (6/30) meetings
- Write a Letter to the Editor of a local paper and post on social media
WHAT SHOULD I SAY?
- Tell them why you care, what the benefits are as you see them
- Tell them you support the above-listed policies in the Housing Chapter
- State that you want your community to be INCLUSIVE and EQUITABLE
WHERE DO I SEND MY LETTER?
City Council: firstname.lastname@example.org
Planning & Zoning Commission: email@example.com
Individual Alderman email addresses are listed on the city website under City Council
For More Information on the Comprehensive Plan
Park Ridge Wonderful Website: parkridgewonderful.com