Location of meeting: Via Zoom
Time meeting was called to order: 7:00pm
Attendees: Kristin Berg, Nan Parson, Kathy Rosling, Marilyn Novak, Jeanne Wells, Ginger Pennington, Karen Banks-Lubicz
- Governor Pritzker will sign the Omnibus Housing Act on July 29, 2021.
- The Omnibus Act requires that the seats on the AH Appeals Board be filled. The appointees are to include the following:
1) a retired circuit judge or retired appellate judge, who shall act as chairperson;
(2) a zoning board of appeals member;
(3) a planning board member;
(4) a mayor or municipal council or board member;
(5) a county board member;
(6) an affordable housing developer; and
(7) an affordable housing advocate
- Ann Kapustiak, who created a podcast about some of the history of housing in Park Ridge will likely present to Action Ridge in November. Her podcast is available at:
- Affordable Housing Advocacy Toolkit
There was a discussion about the Toolkit and whether or not it would be useful to complete for educational and persuasive purposes. The completed document (or parts of it) could be given/presented to appointed and elected officials, as well as presented to groups of interested citizens. Ginger already started a draft and will share it as a google document with the group. Tasks involved in completing the Toolkit were split up as follows:
- Ginger will complete the Data Collection section (Step 1). After the meeting, Marilyn offered to help with Data Collection.
- Kathy and Karen will work on the Community Review Worksheet (Step 2), starting with researching the PR Municipal website.
- Nan will put together the history of the Fair Housing Commission in PR (Step 2).
- Kristin will look at the PR zoning code and talk to a few AH developers to ask them why the AH density bonus in the PR zoning code has not been used to create AH in PR (Step 2).
- Jeanne will connect with some social service agencies in PR and their thoughts on the need for AH in PR (Step 2).
Other areas of research might include the construction of LGH, MS High School, multifamily properties in PR (and the annexation of areas that contain multifamily properties).
The information can be shared on the google document. Step 3 involves deciding on an advocacy focus, which will likely be ensuring that PR puts an AH Plan in place, creates some infrastructure, and dedicates resources for its implementation.
Time Meeting Adjourned: @8:20pm
Next Meeting Date: September 1st at 7:00pm via Zoom