Date: May 12, 2022
Location of meeting: Via Zoom
Time meeting was called to order: 7:00pm
Attendees: Kristin Berg, Nan Parson, Kathy Rosling, Karen Banks-Lubicz, Kate Kerin, Jen Panattoni
We all introduced ourselves as we have a new member, Jen Panattoni. She asked if we had language or talking points used to communicate with others about affordable housing. Kristin will send her the petition we developed and other information on affordable housing. We discussed the need for a “one pager” of talking points.
- Drew Awsumb’s presentation to City Council on 5/5 on an Affordable Housing Plan
- Gave council a memo created by one of the city attorneys that describes the mandated Housing Plan. (Memo and presentation are available in the city archives on the meetings page of the city website)
- There were questions from council members about updating the number of affordable units in Park Ridge as maybe we are at or above 10%. IHDA will not be updating the numbers until 2023, and we have to go by the 8% number determined in 2018 when they last updated. A plan should be filed by the end of the year.
- The city will get started by bringing in the Metropolitan Mayor’s Caucus to function as a consultant to update data and advise as to how other nearby communities have addressed a shortage of affordable housing in their plans. They will present to council either 5/16 or 5/23
- It is not clear whether council or PZC will be drafting the Housing Plan. Kristin will check in with the City Manager about that.
- PZC cancelled its last 2 meetings (4/26 and 5/10) so has not taken up the Comp Plan yet
- No information as to when the commission will discuss the Comp Plan
- Kristin will continue to review their agendas when posted
- Infographic for Affordable Housing
- There was a discussion about the infographic and what the timing should be on when to post around town and in social media
- Jen, our new member, has experience in marketing and social media and has offered to create social media posts to help spread the word about the need for affordable housing in our town.
- We will begin to share posts when closer to the city holding public discussions on the topic. We don’t want to lose momentum by distributing too long before the city takes it up
- Kate will look into possible “table events” such as the Farmer’s Market that we could attend and have information on housing available
- Stories from those who need AH in Park Ridge
- We discussed developing a second infographic focusing more on the personal, emotional aspects of those in need of more affordable housing
- We continue to gather stories from those who may be willing to share their experience either in writing, at public meetings, or on video.
- Upcoming Events:
- AR Meeting May 11 at 7:00pm at the Community Church and virtual on zoom. Action Ridge will present three stories taken from the PBS documentary series, First-Hand.
- Neighbors Unite Against Hate at Jonquil Terrace Park, Sunday May 15th at 3:00. We’re hoping for “all-hands-on- deck” at this neighborhood event, the local version of the rally in Glenview, expanded to rebuke hate against others in all its forms.
- AR Diversity Discussion Group. Next meeting is May 25 at 7:00pm on zoom. Our new book is “Why are all the Black Kids sitting together in the Cafeteria?”
- Vacancy for 7th Ward Alderman – 11 applications
- Support the Jefferson Park Affordable Housing Project at 5150 N Northwest Highway, Chicago, with donations. For more info go to
Contact Us – Friendship Community Place
- HODC Open House May 20th, 3-6pm at HODC office building, 5340 Lincoln Avenue, Skokie
- Memorial Day Parade. Save the date and join Action Ridge in the Memorial Day Parade, Monday 5/30. We will have position 65, South side of Talcott, just East of Prospect. Vehicle S/B in place by 9:30. Lead unit steps off at 10:AM. South Park fieldhouse restrooms will be open.
Time Meeting Adjourned: 8:25pm
Next Meeting Date: Monday, June 6th at 7:00pm via Zoom