Affordable Housing Advocacy Group Meeting Minutes ~ February 2, 2023

Date: February 2, 2023

Location of meeting:  Via Zoom

Time meeting was called to order: 7:05pm

Attendees:  Kristin Berg, Nan Parson, Kathy Rosling, Kate Kerin, Jeanne Wells, Melani Kaplan, Juliana Lopez De Philbrook, Kristen Olson

  1. City moving very slowly on Comp Plan and Housing Plan.
    1. The PZC is discussing Land Use in the Uptown B4 district.  Kristin spoke with Drew Awsumb about adding AH to the Land Use Table and he encouraged her to make the comment at the next PZC meeting on 2/14.
    1. Alderperson/Commissioner Meetings
      1. Alderperson Fred Sanchez did not respond to two email attempts to schedule a meeting.
      1. Alderperson Rick Biagi sent the following response to our request for a meeting:

“Thank you for your email message however I respectfully decline your invitation for a private meeting.  If there is anything you wish for me to review, please send it to me in writing and I will do so and will share with the entire City Council.”

The group discussed next steps with Alderperson communications.  The consensus was that residents should be able to talk to/meet with elected officials and be heard.

  • Action Ridge joining the Chamber of Commerce
    • Nan and Kristin attended 2 different PREN group meetings where we introduced Action Ridge to the members.  Members were welcoming and a few spoke to us after the meetings about adding their names to the Action Ridge email list.  The third PREN group meeting is on 2/10.  There may be an opportunity in the future for AR to make a short presentation to the group. Member presentations are part of the meeting format.
  • Regional LWV Forum Report
    • The group met via Zoom on 1/9/23 and updated each other on their local issues.  Of note:
      • Naperville approved a Housing Ordinance that includes incentives for affordable housing development – 25% reduction in park district contributions, parking variances, increased lot coverage, and building height.  All have been mentioned by developers as obstacles to AH projects.  This is a positive result.
      • Naperville was advised by the Metropolitan Mayors Caucus, the same consultant to Park Ridge for its Housing Plan.
  • Action Ridge Intern
    • A Maine South Senior will be an intern for Action Ridge and may assist our group at some point.  She may attend our meetings. 
  • Tools to Create AH
    • We will continue to study and discuss.
  • Collection of written stories of those in PR that need AH
    • Kristen and Melani talked about seniors who can’t afford to pay utilities, taxes, and home repair costs and are living in poverty.  There is nowhere in Park Ridge for them to go that they can afford. 
  • Upcoming Events
    • AR General Meeting February 8th at the Community Church at 7:00pm.  **Since the meeting we have learned that District 64 will not be participating.  There will not be a meeting and we will concentrate on the Candidate Forum coming up in March.
    • Coffee With the Chief on February 13th at 7:00pm in the Third Floor Conference Room of the Park Ridge Public Library.  This meeting’s theme is racial bias training for employees of the department. On January 24, Alissa Goldwasser attended a pilot training program for the Park Ridge and Des Plaines police departments. Alissa and Chief Kaminski will review the day-long training and talk about its implications for upholding principles of equity in the daily actions of police officers. Attendees are welcome to discuss other topics as well.
    • AR Diversity Discussion Group.  The discussion is going to be the viewing of a short series called “Colin in Black and White.”  The series is available on Netflix.  We may have watch parties and the discussion will be on 2/23.  If you have any questions, contact Karen Banks-Lubicz at or 847 924-0457.
    • Alderperson Candidates Forum tentatively set for March 8th.  All 4 candidates in the 2 contested races have agreed to participate.  We discussed questions about AH that could be asked during the forum.  Candidates could be asked about their vision of AH in the community; if they would be willing to change zoning regulations or offer incentives to achieve/preserve more AH.
    • Melani reminded us that May is AH Month.  We may ask the library to post our infographics and informational documents.  We are considering a speaker or panel discussion of AH at the May Action Ridge meeting on May 10th.
  • Time meeting adjourned:  8:17pm
  • Next Meeting Date:  Thursday, March 16th at 7:00pm via ZOOM

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: