Action Ridge will have a table at National Night Out in Hodges Park on Tuesday, August 6th, from 6:30-9:00. Noreen Gayford and Joan Bludeau will be passing out literature which explains the Firearms Restraining Order.
Gun Violence Prevention is one of our Action Ridge initiatives; so come out to learn about the FR
O and to support Gun Violence Prevention.
A big shout out to Chris Parson, Sue Beaumont, Marilyn Novak, Renate Stoltzer, Beth Brosnan, Debbie Maggio, Karen Burkum, Jane Curry, Kate Kerin and Joan and Don Bludeau. They bravely endured the heat at the Taste of Park to promote Action Ridge!
Dear Action Ridge Enthusiasts, Our Anti-Oppression Book Club will be on July 18th to accommodate our leader, Jena Doolas. We will gather at the Community Church at 7:00.
To prepare for the meeting, please purchase What Does it mean to be White? Here is the link:
If you would like to share a book, let me know; and we’ll figure that out. Also Barb Sanders has an extra book she’d like to sell. If you’d like to purchase it, please let me know and I’ll arrange for you to get it.
Jena suggests that we first consider this question, (which is in the book on page 14), and write our responses in a journal, which we’ll use throughout our exploration of the material.
“Discuss what it means to be part of your particular racial group(s). How racially diverse was your neighborhood(s) growing up? What messages have you received about race from your family, friends, schools and neighborhoods about race? In other words, how has your race(s) shaped your life?”
She asks that we read the first 5 chapters of the book, making notes of our questions and reactions as we go along.
Dear Action Ridge Friends, As you may know, the library is holding community meetings to talk to residents about their interests and wishes regarding library programs. On July 15th at 7:00 you may talk to library staff in person or you may fill out the survey below.
Also please note that the City is asking us to participate in Park Ridge Wonderful in preparation for the creation of a Comprehensive Plan. The website for that survey is below, too.
I hope we Action Ridge folks will take action on these surveys. We movers and shakers need to make our opinions known. Thanks! Nan
We are working to be the best public library we can be for our community. We’re initiating conversations throughout Park Ridge with civic leaders, community groups and hopefully, each of you.
We want to hear from as many people around town as we can! Please take a few minutes and share your thoughts with us through a brief survey
. Your answers will help us write our strategic plan and make our programs and services better than ever.
It’s going to be a REALLY good meeting with important information about water and all of its pluses and minuses. Also, you’ll notice that we have A LOT of plans for future efforts. Please come to learn and offer your thoughts.
Action Ridge Agenda
May 9, 2019 at 7:00 PM
Park Ridge Community Church 100 Courtland Ave.
7:00-8:30—Presentation: Water: You, Park Ridge and the Planet with Cam Davis of the Metropolitan Water Reclamation District and Amy Bartucci of Go Green Park Ridge
8:30-9:00—Review of future Action Ridge Initiatives:
- May 15th, 7:00, 328 Courtland—Meeting of the Core Leaders Group. If you’d like to join the group, let Nan know.
- May 27th, Early a.m., South Park—Memorial Day Parade: Please sign up.
- Sometime in May—Participation in a Library Survey regarding the interests of patrons
- June 13th,7:00, Monthly meeting, Community Church—Peter Contos, of the Illinois Gun Violence Prevention Coalition and Duane Mellema, the Park Ridge Deputy Chief of Police will talk about Gun Violence Prevention, especially about the Fire Arm Restraining Order and how it applies to Park Ridge.
- July 11th—Do we want to have a table at the Taste of Park Ridge? Sign up, please.
- July and August—No regular meetings but possibly a book discussion on the subject of racial equity and/or participation in a “White Affinity Group”. Who would like to take part?
- September 12th—, Monthly Meeting, Community Church, Discussion of Rank Choice Voting
- On-going—Kristin, Marilyn and Nan are approaching City Hall about creating a Housing Plan as part of the Comprehensive Plan. Are there others who are interested in this?